Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Recommended Books

I love books, I like to read and learn and have been no different when approaching photography. Therefore, below is a list of photography related books I have found useful. I will attempt to keep them grouped by category as best I can.

Should you not see a book you know to be good please post a comment with your recommendation.

General Reference:
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers: Second Edition - By John Harrington (Find it on Amazon)
  • Stephen Johnson on Digital Photography - By Stephen Johnson (Find it on Amazon)
  • Vision Mongers: Making a Life and Living in Photography - By David DuChemin (Find it on Amazon)
History:
  • Ansel Adams: An Autobiography - By Ansel Adams (Find it on Amazon)
Image Editing & Management:
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers - By Scott Kelby (Find it on Amazon)
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers - By Scott Kelby (Find it on Amazon)
  • The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers - By Peter Krogh (Find it on Amazon)
Lighting:
  • Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting - By Fil Hunter, Steven Biver & Paul Fuqua (Find it on Amazon)

Technique:

  • Understanding Exposure: Revised Edition - By Bryan Peterson (Find it on Amazon)
  • Understanding Shutter Speed: Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 of a Second - By Bryan Peterson (Find it on Amazon)

Note: I'm sure some of you are seeing that I am a bit of a Scott Kelby fan. His books are sometimes accused of being recipie books and while I do agree with this to an extent I find them providing me the base I need to go forth and learn on my own. I rarely need another book once I've reviewed his. Photoshop Elements 5 is the best example of this. I had the purchased 2 books prior to Scott Kebly's, each claiming to be the definitive resource and it was not until I read his that I became empowered enough to work in this app on my own.

0 comments: